Wednesday, June 8, 2016

QRPver for 20m PSK arrives from Ukraine

A few weeks ago I learned about a mono-band QRP rig available from Ukraine. I went back & forth on whether or not I wanted one and finally hit the BUY button.

If I'd known Elecraft would soon announce the KX2, I definitely would not have bought the QRPver, but my crystal ball failed me and the QRPver arrived today after 24 days in transit.

It was well packed with a power cord and two sheets of specs/instructions in good English. The QRPver is available for 15, 20, 30 or 40 meters and is set to operate on either PSK or JT65. You specifiy the mode you intend at the time of order and the proper crystal is installed to operate on that mode's frequency.

Mine is at 14.070 MHz for 20m PSK operation. Output power is spec'ed at 1 to 1.5 watts. The QRPver is sold via eBay and my questions on the rig & shipping were each answered with 12 hours.

I'll be putting it on the air over the next week or so and will post my impressions of it soon after. Some pics:
.
Audio out, audio in and TX/RX LED. On rear panel: 12V in, RF out. Nothing more to it
.
For scale

.
.

7 comments:

  1. Initial attempts with the QRPver are very disappointing. I cannot get it to switch to transmit despite efforts with Digipan on 2 different computers. Regardless of audio out level from either computer, the QRPver stays in receive mode.

    I'll look into it more closely next week but I believe I've ruled out operator error and computer/Digipan config issues :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also interested and planning to buy one. Did you check, if the device is sensitive to the audio frequency, all software packages allow ~250 to 2300 Hz.

    73's de OE1MWW
    Wolfgang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I verified audio out of both computers and that I could vary the level. I then fed that audio into the QRPver and again changed the levels but it still did not shift to TX mode. The only thing left to try is to use stereo cables rather than the mono I've been using. I doubt that will accomplish anything but I suppose it is possible that stereo connectors are in use even though the functionality only requires mono.

      Delete
  3. Yes, if the designer soldered his mono input to tip & ring and you insert a mono cable, the missing 'ring' is ground :-) good luck and please let me know, how the 1 watt performs on the band. I am planning to order the JT65 version - as soon as are giving a positive report.
    73's de OE1MWW
    Wolfgang

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, if you look at the circuit diagram on https://yadi.sk/d/gJ6TYHHlruHty - he is using stereo plugs and both chanel connected to mono. good luck
    73's de OE1MWW
    Wolfgang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will check it later today Wolfgang - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Success! The QRPver requires stereo audio cables - thanks for the schematic, Wolfgang. I answered a CQ from VA3TUR and he gave me a great signal report, confirming that the QRP rig works as it should. I'll post more later (in a separate posting).

    ReplyDelete